Sunday, September 15, 2013

Im Thinking About Silk

Im Thinking About Silk
Being I've begun looking into medieval fabrics as part of my Vertical Tough guy research, I've started to feel that I need a silk gown.

My persona in the SCA is an English woman and the wife of an English fiber merchant existence just outdoor Bruges, Flanders in 1453. My husband sells fiber created from his family's flock in Canterbury. Despite the fact that we appreciate the benefits of bluff belongings from the well-behaved we get to guide, my husband and I are by no plan well-heeled, and are regularly leap to fundraiser on the daily do of semi-rural existence in the Low Market.

Silk was pretty ironic in the Soul Ages (and still is, according to my purse-strings), but it would not be not right to believe that, as the wife of a merchant, I would store been able to loan at negligible one silk gown. Possibly my husband conveyance me with a silk gown was predetermined in the marriage gather amid my husband and twitch. This article by Jennifer Thompson (found via Drea Leed's Elizabethan Clothing Call) meeting about the assembly of lower-grade silk, notably in Venice, which supports the use of highly developed dupioni and shantung silk as an attempt for lower-grade medieval silk wear.

From not here to right: Essay from the April junior of "Tres Change Heures du Duc de Berry" and Essay from the Distinguished junior of "Tres Change Heures du Duc de Berry", full in 1489. Essay from "Bible historiale" twisted at the starting point of the 15th century.

I've always liked the dresses featured in "Tres Change Heures du Duc de Berry", very the depressed brocade costume from April and the black costume from Distinguished (greater). I love the lithe look of the April costume, and the contrast of the depressed against the gold kirtle, but the long open sleeves are half-baked, both for my persona and for me difficult it at undertakings. I love the somberness of the Distinguished costume, but it's in the neighborhood too plain. The black costume has long sleeves that store been pushed up to hint the red kirtle, and as that's a look I don't mind, it's a bit too close for my one and only silk costume. So the compromise seems to be no matter which central between- like the red costume from the "Bible historiale" (greater). The red costume has the extraordinarily simple lines of the black costume, but the cool open sleeves- in the neighborhood like tippets- represent the depressed dresses' without being half-baked.

I had planned to do a claret-colored gown to go over my teal fiber (the mark greater is only a representation- the real occurrence isn't more exactly so personal a teal), so I think the silk gown will be it. I found a reasonably copper-toned silk shantung that I can get for 10/yard. I think the grayish-green/white linen I found for 9.50/yard would be a nice inside layer that I'll go off to show on the edges (just like the red costume).

To go with it, the horn and wrap style garland is the way to go (like the one tattered by the black-dress lady.) I don't sooner than store one, but I do store a very fine, frail linen I can use to make it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment