Thursday, June 13, 2013

Editor P And Q With Laura Mccallen Harlequin Presents

Editor P And Q With Laura Mccallen Harlequin Presents
Laura McCallen, Editorial Assistant Modern/Presents

WHAT DO YOU WISH PEOPLE KNEW ABOUT YOUR JOB AS AN EDITOR?

How much fun it is! I spend my days reading amazing stories by sensational authors and getting to be involved in the many varied stages of taking books from the first draft all the way to the shelves in your local bookshop. When a typical day includes having to search through countless pictures of a shirtless Henry Cavil to find the best one to present to the art team as inspiration I know how very lucky I am. I love my job!

WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE TV SHOW?

At the moment Im really enjoying dramas that ooze scandal, intrigue and passion. Ive long been a fan of SCANDAL but I recently got introduced to REVENGE and have been feverishly devouring every episode I can get my hands on! I also absolutely love SUITSis there a hero more alpha than Harvey Specter?!and love to hate HOUSE OF CARDS. Frank Underwood is such a compelling, polarizing figure and Ive had endless debates with friends speculating what will happen next for him!

WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE COMFORT FOOD?

The two Ps Pizza and Popcorn! (Both of which Ive enjoyed while completely wrapped up in a great book )

WHAT IS YOUR ALL-TIME FAVORITE BOOK?

Theres so many its difficult to choose! If pressed I would say it has to be the ultimate romancePRIDE AND PREJUDICE. Mr Darcy set my heart racing when I first read it in my early teens and theres yet to be another hero strong enough to displace him from my affections.

What is your advice to someone submitting to your line?

The best advice I could give would be twofold:


1. Ensure that your story and conflict are character-driven by focusing on their internal emotional conflicts. This is what has shaped them and what motivates everything they do so make sure its believable and compelling!

2. Take those classic themes and hooks we love to see and turn them completely on their head! We want to see a fun, fresh story brought to life by your incredible voice!

Why should a person who's never read your line, or hasn't read it in a while, pick up one of your books?

Presents has absolutely everything you could possibly want! Our stories take you around the world with gorgeous alpha billionaires, feisty passionate heroines who challenge them, glitz, glamour, and that oh-so-satisfying happily ever afterthe ultimate aspirational fantasy!

Attached Thumbnails


0 comments:

Post a Comment