Saturday, April 21, 2012

Different Types Of Heroes

Different Types Of Heroes
I'm cheating a little bit by using a blog post I already posted this week on eHarlequin. But I figure it's still a pretty good topic.I'm on record as being a reality TV fan. (Frankly, I thought the Bachelor was one of the most entertaining moments in TV this week... when confronted with kissing the cameraman the lovely model said... "I don't think my personal life is anyone's business." Uh...you're on a dating show. Yeah it sort of is.)My other favorite, beyond Idol, is Survivor. After 20 seasons in 10 years I still go back time and time again. The reason is that throughout the seasons true heroes have emerged. Men and women who have been stronger than others, skilled at leadership and able to mentally withstand various different challenges. The "alpha" is alive and well and this show highlights that.As a fan of romance that features alpha characters, both male and female I love watching to see how they emerge and the different characteristics these people can have. Some are straight up, honest, hardworking stalwarts. Some are charismatic and charming. And others are devious and manipulative and don't pull any punches to get what they want.This next season will feature Survivor All Stars: Heroes vs. Villains. And it brings back two of my all time favorites. Tom the fireman and Boston Rob. I was so excited these two particular men were returning because for me they really showcase the opposite spectrum of the romance heroes we love to read about.Tom dominated the game. Through strength and mental toughness. He was simply bigger than life. A man in his late forties he schooled the younger men with his prowess and never once had to lie or connive to make his way to the top. He was the leader from day one and he won with a unanimous vote.Boston Rob also dominated the game. Through his strength but also his charm. He attracted people and made them loyal to him, even though they knew he wasn't always trustworthy. He found the strongest woman on the show, aligned with her and then (much to my delight) fell in love with her. They became an awesome power team. When it was over the outcasts hated him, so they gave her the money. But it was too late. Rob had already proposed so in a sense the money was his. At one point mid-season he said to the camera.... "At the end of this thing either she's going to be spending my money or I'm going to be spending hers."Now I get to watch as these two types pit their skills against each other. Throw in some strong women, some sinister folks and you've got a recipe for great drama. At least I hope so.So tell me - are you an alpha fan? And what aspects of the alpha attract you the most?

0 comments:

Post a Comment