Monday, March 8, 2010

Christianity Vs Hypnosis

Christianity Vs Hypnosis
Amongst the Christian community there is a very uneasy feeling when it comes to the use of hypnosis. While not this is not true of all Christians some consider hypnosis to be a tool of the devil. Could that be true in this day and age? As astonishing as that seems it is indeed true as Jennifer Wong reports.
Today, I was universally blessed to be brought face to face with resistance to hypnosis and metaphysical practices by the Christian community. Timing could not be more perfect since I was trying to figure out how to discuss a controversial issue in this magazine. As a hypnotist, I've been told by other hypnotists that a portion of the Christian community views hypnosis as "devils" work. Yet, I'd never been exposed to it firsthand. I never believed it was a real issue until today. The issue has never been in my awareness before and I attribute it to the basic law of attraction, i.e....Because I never thought about the resistance, I never had to deal with it. Until now.I met with a wonderful woman today. So full of kindness, generosity and intellect. We were discussing our businesses in an effort to provide more referrals for each other. She asked me about my practice and what my approach was to hypnosis. We spoke for a while and had a great conversation. Then, as the drum roll crept up through the coffee shop, she asked, "So, how do you approach those who feel hypnosis is a 'bad' thing?" I looked at her with a puzzled expression not quite sure what she was referring to as 'bad' and that prompted her to continue. She took a deep breath and said, "Ok, I'm just going to say it... I grew up in a fundamentalist Christian family as did my husband. Not that I'm a fundamentalist now, but I still have those ideas and beliefs engrained in my head. I was taught that hypnotists, tarot card readers, psychics and the like were 'bad'." It was at that point that I knew what she was referring to. I was taken aback because I did not have a canned answer for her. I never want to offend anyone especially since I don't hold judgment against individual belief systems. How could I? I work with peoples belief systems all day long!Because I believe so completely and fully in the healing power of hypnosis, I just answered her as I would anyone interested in understanding what hypnosis is and offered her information to take the mysticism out of the myth. I explained that hypnosis is not about mind control. The person in trance is always fully aware of what is happening and in total control of their experience. I explained that the hypnotist cannot make anyone do anything they are not comfortable with. If at any time a client feels uncomfortable with the session, all they have to do is emerge themselves and it would be over. I expressed how the ability to go into a deep state of meditation to change your programming so that you can become better connected to your higher power and your higher self is a gift that can only empower the individual. When one is empowered, life begins to feel more peaceful and calm. When one is empowered they feel the love of God and experience the fruits of the surrender.After speaking with her, I began to understand her concerns and fears. I realized that the church and state are strong bedfellows looking for the same outcome - control. I asked myself why would the church benefit by calling those of us in the metaphysical realm, 'bad'? The answer came as fast as I asked it... "To maintain control and order". Funny thing is it sounds a lot like Hitler's main objective! An even funnier realization is that churchgoers exposed to this misperception are hypnotized to believe this in the first place! Some of the biggest hypnotists are heads of church and state. They utilize the same tools that hypnotists use to get people in a state of heightened suggestibility, and then offer suggestions that can be readily accepted. For example, it has been scientifically proven that we, as human beings, are more suggestible when we are; age 7 and younger, in heightened states of emotional turmoil, waking in the morning and as we fall asleep. Now, if the church head preaches about the horror of hypnosis, tarot cards, and metaphysics to young children and highly emotional adults the audience's minds are highly suggestible and will readily accept that programming as true. Not much different than the whole fiasco on the "war on terror". Get the mass media involved to run ads and snippets every 2 minutes showing the 911 attacks and add the words "war on terror" you've got the perfect recipe for mind programming.But why do the media and the church get involved in these practices in the first place? That is easy, they need to control the masses, and they need to control them in their favor. Just like the winning vote. If you want to control anyone you must instil fear into their beings so they latch onto your interest for protection and hope. Because metaphysics and hypnosis embrace empowerment, which leads to questioning of authority, it has to be forbidden by Church and state. Therefore, it is not surprising that many Western Religions conform to the urban legend that hypnosis is the "devils work". It is ok for them to use it behind the scenes in the most deceptive manner, but to put it on a shingle outside a wellness center is "devil worship". Makes perfect sense, right?Well, none of it has to make sense. The key to dealing with the opposing views and misperceptions is truth and understanding. Now that I've had the opportunity to respond directly to the erroneous belief about hypnosis, I have a better handle on why it is in existence. I know that the best way for hypnotists to handle these questions in the future is by being an example of what hypnosis really is. By acting in truth and integrity for the self and the industry. Myths and legends only exist as long as people believe in them. As truth and integrity continue on, it is possible to see radical shifts in these ancient misperceptions!Author's Bio Jennifer Wong is a Certified Hypnotherapist and Self-Hypnosis Instructor with the National Guild of Hypnotists (NGH), as well as a certified NLP practitioner. She is dedicated to promoting inner strength and personal change for those looking to increase peace, joy and abundance in their lives. Working on the premise that we are all infinite beings of light with the power, gifts, and talents we need to do anything we desire, she has assisted many in overcoming limiting beliefs and negative programming to attain their goals. Once empowered, individuals enjoy the life they desire with greater ease and elegance.To learn more about hypnosis or schedule a free 30 minute consultation, contact Jennifer directly at jennifer@positiveenergyhypnosis.com or call 949-878-6870

0 comments:

Post a Comment